Skip to main content
#
The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City
Historic Markers

Placed by Native Sons of Kansas City (N/S) and, after 2007
by The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City 
   

   

Fifty-three (53) N/S and NSDKC historic markers (as of June 2019) are on signposts, walls, and other structures throughout the Kansas City area. These markers signify events and locations that showcase the social, economic, military and political history of Greater Kansas City.

Markers with an active link title (in red) will display a page with photos of the marker.

Frequently the statement “Mura says…..” will occur in this listing. This was a 20-page history of the Native Sons of Kansas City, Missouri made in 1991 by Anamarie Mura, the daughter of our 1985 President John Mura. That history was well-researched by Anamarie from our archives and appears to be substantially reliable.

Plaques

1 - Union Cemetery
227 East 28th Terrace, Kansas City, Missouri     
Placed 1957 and 1993    
A plaque is on each side of the entrance that reads “Presented on the 8th day of November, 1957 by Native Sons of Kansas City”.  The 1957 plaques were stolen from the original 1956 brick wall entrance to the north of today’s entrance. They were replaced with identical plaques at the new entrance in October, 1993.

2 - Camp Union
SW Corner of 10th Street and Central, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1958 (The original plaque)
The dedication was on November 25, 1958 per a KC Times  newspaper article the next day.  The plaque was missing in 1975 and was replaced with the present plaque in 1976.
Mura noted the 1975 markers tour included the Camp Union marker.

3 - The Albert G. Boone Store
(renamed Kelly’s Westport Inn)  
Westport Road and Pennsylvania Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed in 1959. In 1999, the 1959 plaque was replaced due to historical inaccuracies.

4 - Mayor Milton Payne gravesite
Union Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1961 at the upper south side of Cemetery
Plaque and gravestone furnished by Native Sons

5 - Byrams' Ford Battlefield
6103 Manchester, Kansas City, Missouri   
Placed 1962     (dedicated 1963)
A large plaque is on two posts located in green space approximately
500 ft. north of 63rd St., and west of railroad tracks.

6 - Fort Osage (1965)
Sibley, Missouri
Placed 1965 at entrance of Blockhouse #1.
Text credits Native Sons for reconstruction of fort. (Such credit is also given on the wayside exhibit north of the Ft. Osage Museum and at the large marker located at north edge of the town of Buckner).

7 - James Anderson Plaque
Donated in 1968 to State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center - Kansas City Newcomb Hall UMKC, Kansas City, MO
Plaque is on display there or available for viewing.  Mr. Anderson was the first historian for the Native Sons of Kansas City.

8 - Kansas City Athenaeum
900 East Linwood Blvd.
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1974 on west wall

9 - Battle of Westport (Ward Parkway)
Ward Parkway and Wornall Road
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1975      
Plaque on a limestone slab on the north side of the Intercontinental Hotel (was Alameda Plaza) near the Wagonmaster sculpture.

10 - Santa Fe Trail  (Ward Parkway)
Ward Parkway and Wornall Road
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1975
It is next to the Battle of Westport plaque listed above.

11 - Santa Fe Trail (Crown Center)
Crown Center Hotel and Restaurants
2450 Grand Blvd.
Kansas City, Missouri   
Placed 1976      
The wall-mounted plaque is near the door at exterior northeast corner of Crown Center Shops and Restaurants.

12 - Grinter House
1420 South 78th Street
Kansas City, Kansas
Placed 1978 on the ground on north side of house.    
The plaque was missing & presumed lost until rediscovered in 2009. Remounted and rededicated in 2010.

13 - Old Convention Hall
13th Street and Central
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1982
It is a metal wayside-style exhibit. Mura indicates erected 1982.
Native Sons dedication was on November 30, 1984.

14 - Strang Line Car Barn and Power Station
79th Street and Santa Fe
Overland Park, Kansas
Placed 1989 (Dedicated 1990 per Mura)
Plaque mounted on south side of building. Later fell off wall and stored by Overland Park H/S.  Remounted and rededicated in 2017.

15 - George Caleb Bingham Monument
Union Cemetery    
Placed 1990. Small plaque at the base.  Native Sons donated
$10,000 for the Bingham Monument which was dedicated in 1957.

16 - Savoy Hotel and Grill
(Hotel refurbished in 2018 and renamed ‘21c Museum Hotel’)
9th Street and Central
Kansas City, Missouri
Likely placed in 1970s    
Plaque on north wall, at northwest corner of building.

17 - Historic Flavin-Brown
Building Complex

3302 Pennsylvania Avenue
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2001 on north wall.

Upright markers on single post

18 - Battle of Westport (Rockwell Lane)
Rockwell Lane and Sunset Dr. (in island), Kansas City, Missouri Placed 1965  (date on marker is 1964)        
A large single-post mounted marker, possibly the first post marker that Native Sons erected. It is a different design than after 1990.

19 - Harris-Kearney House
4000 Baltimore, Kansas City, Missouri (HQ of Westport H/S)
Placed 1990
Same text both sides

20 - Union Prison Collapse
15th Street and Grand Avenue (SE corner), Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1995   
Same text both sides – Reset 2017 after bridge re-construction.  

21 - First Golf Course in Kansas City
36th Street and Gillham Road
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1995         
Same text both sides

22 - Kansas City’s First Public
Golf Course

Meyer Boulevard and Swope Parkway, Kansas City, Missouri
(located at the NE corner of Battle of Westport Museum)
Placed 1995
Same text both sides

23 - First Home of the Kansas City Country Club
Loose Park, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1998 at north side of the pavilion
Same text both sides

24 - Historic Linden, Missouri
Gladstone Central Park, NE 70th St. and N. Holmes, Gladstone, MO
Placed 2001      
Same text both sides.   In Linden Park at NE 69th & Campbell St. diagonally across the block from where originally placed.

25 - Old Pike Road
Northwest corner of NW 51st Street and
NW Old Pike Road, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2001
Different text on both sides. 

26 - St. Mary's Church
730 E. 13th Street, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2001
Same text both sides

27 - Kansas City Young Matrons
5211 Cherry, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2001
Original clubhouse and post marker were on southwest corner of 51st & Oak.  Both relocated in 2016 to this new building site.
Same text both sides  

28 - Antioch Community Church
4805 NE Antioch Road
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2002  
Same text both sides

29 - Curran Park
18th & Swift, North Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2004
Same text both sides

30 - William McClung Paxton
West end of Main Street at 1st Street.
Platte City, Missouri
Placed 2004
Same text both sides

31 - Lewis and Clark at Kaw Point
June 26-29, 1804

One Fairfax Trafficway, Kansas City, Kansas.  Located within Lewis and Clark Park at Kaw Point.
Placed 2005
Different text on both sides. 

32 - City Market 150th Anniversary 1857-2007
3rd and Main St., Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2007 at north side of park
Same text both sides

33 - “The Old Graveyard” –
“Mt. Memorial Cemetery”
Old Lexington Cemetery, William Jewell College, Liberty, Missouri
Placed 2007
Text one side - marker mounted on concrete slab at entrance.

34 - Fort Osage (2008)
Sibley, Missouri
Placed 2008
Different text on both sides.  (First use of our new NSDKC logo)

35 - James G. Ashley Jr.
and Pamela C. Ashley

55th Street and Brookside Blvd.
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2010  
Same text both sides

36 - Atkins-Johnson Farm
4109 NE Pleasant Valley Rd
Gladstone, Missouri 64119
Placed 2010
Same text both sides
It is now Atkins-Johnson Farm and Museum.; The marker has now been moved from the road to west of the house at new entrance.

37 - Town of Kansas
100 feet north of 2nd and Main,
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2010
Different text on both sides

38 - Liberty Arsenal
On Southview Drive west of Hwy 291 at Old 210 Hwy, Liberty, MO
(located approx. 2.5 miles north of Missouri River)
Placed 2012
Different text on both sides

39 - American Jazz Museum
1616 East 18th Street, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2012 north side of building
Text one side

40 - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
1616 East 18th Street, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2013 north of building next to Jazz Museum marker
Text one side

41 - Platte Purchase and Weekly Dale Farm
Glenn Hendren Drive, ¼ mile NE of Liberty Hospital, Liberty, MO
Placed 2014
Different text on both sides.   

42 - Greater Kansas City Restaurant Association
12th & Walnut Street, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2014 in Oppenstein Park
Text one side

43 - Ethnic Enrichment Commission
Swope Park, one block east of west entrance, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2015
Different text on both sides. 

44 - Harlem
Broadway and Harlem Drive
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 2015 in traffic circle near Charles Wheeler Airport
Different text on both sides.
Marker was destroyed by a vehicle accident and replaced in 2018.

45 - Truman Sports Complex
Truman Sports Complex, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2016
Same text both sides
Located between Chiefs and Royals Stadiums at Redcoat Lane and Chiefs Way at NW corner of parking lot B.

46 - Richard Thomas Coles (Educator)
and R. T. Coles Vocational and Junior High School (back side)

19th and Tracy, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2017
Different text on both sides. 

47 - Town of Barry
Fred and Shirley Pryor YMCA Sports Complex
2100 NW 87th Terrace
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2018 (date on marker is 2017)
Same text both sides

48 - Liberty to Fort Leavenworth Road
Same as Town of Barry address above (100 yards west of Town of Barry marker)
Placed and dedicated 2018  (date on marker is 2017)
Same text both sides

49 - Old Western Border of the United States
N. Platte Purchase Dr. at MO Hwy 152, Kansas City, Missouri
South side of Interchange  
Placed and dedicated 2018 (date on marker is 2017)
Same text both sides

50 - Kansas City Metropolitan Crime Commission
14th and Baltimore, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2018, east side of Hotel President on 14th St.
Different text on both sides. 

51 - Lake Lotawana
On Lake Lotawana Road 3/4 mile south of Colbern Rd. in community park.
City of Lake Lotawana, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2018
Different text on both sides. 

52 - Boy Scouts of America
39th and Gillham Rd., Kansas City, Missouri
On east side of BSA Eagle Scout Memorial.
Placed and dedicated 2019 (date on marker is 2018)
Different text on both sides. 

53 - The American Royal
1701 American Royal Court
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed and dedicated 2019 near Hale Arena (date on marker is 2018)
Same text both sides

Missing plaques

Lewis and Clark Viaduct
At Missouri & Kansas Rivers
Placed 1955    
(If there was a plaque or a sign, not sure whose or what it was)
                    
Pacific House Hotel
401 Delaware
Kansas City, Missouri    
Placed 1957    (per KC Star 9/17/57)
A plaque on the north wall that was later stolen.

Chouteau Bridge
Chouteau Trafficway at Missouri
Placed 1958 (long missing)

Watts Mill
103rd Street east of State Line Road, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1974      
(Original Native Sons plaque gone – it was in place in 1983)
Replaced by three replacement metal plaques mounted on a vertical signboard – not Native Sons.  New markers will be erected in 2020 by others.

Dr. Johnston Lykins' Home
12th Street and Washington
Kansas City, Missouri
Placed ?    Missing and replaced 1976   
(home was razed 1990 – 2nd plaque missing)

Alexander Majors House
8145 State Line Road, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1972   
Plaque originally at the front porch entrance.  Stolen about 2013.  

Cooperative efforts with others  (not solely N/S markers)

Richards Airport
Belton, Missouri
This was an effort to get the airport named after Lt. John
Richards – no record of any marker involved.

Hannibal Bridge
Missouri River near Broadway
Placed 1950
This was Burlington Railroad’s permanent historical markers
installed on the Hannibal Bridge.  Native Sons’ historian helped design the markers.  Markers are now gone.

St. Francis Regis Church
11th & Washington, Kansas City, Missouri
Plaque suggested by Native Sons, placed 1951 at 12th & Pennsylvania by Diocese of Kansas City—St. Joseph - long missing.  

George Caleb Bingham School
7618 Wyandotte, Kansas City, MO
Placed  ?   School is now razed.  Uncertain if a marker ever placed.
NS may have only suggested the name for the school.

Andrew Drips Park
16th and Belleview, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1951   
An engraved stone monument. Native Sons partnered with West Side Community Council with the cost, text, design, and new park name.

Van Horn High School
1109 Arlington, Independence, Missouri
Placed 1952  (?)
The present school was built in 1955.  No marker, and the staff has no record or memory of a plaque.  Native Sons’ role possibly was the naming of the school.

Battle of Westport (Final Engagement)
Loose Park, Kansas City, Missouri
Placed 1953    North of Rose Garden adjacent to 52nd St
(Mura said “In October of 1953, the Native Sons dedicated a marker in Loose Park to commemorate the 89th anniversary of the Battle of Westport. “
An inscribed large red granite monument and base. Placed in cooperation with the Kansas City, MO Board of Park Commissioners.

Lewis and Clark (Case Park)
Located at north end of Case Park, 7th and Jefferson, Kansas City MO
Placed 1957, in cooperation with American Pioneer Trails Assn.
and Kansas City, Missouri, Board of Park Commissioners.
Plaque mounted on large boulder - not Native Sons.  

Kansas City Public Library Building
9th and Locust, Kansas City, Missouri
Plaque dated 1978
Mura says “In December, 1979, the Native Sons cooperated in a project with several other organizations to mark the historic library building at Ninth and Locust.

Pioneer Park
Westport Road and Broadway
Placed 1987 (October 10, 1987 dedication)
Native Sons was project co-sponsor in cooperation with the Westport Historical Society.  Native Sons used a 1932 Native Sons logo plaque on the large plate marker in front of trails map.  

Westport Battle Field
Loose Park, on 55th St. west of Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Missouri  
Placed 1990
In cooperation with the Monnett Battle Field Fund.  Financial support  from Native Sons for acquisition of cannon.  Nine markers there.  
Not NS signs.  Originals have been replaced by others in recent years.  

Wornall House
61st and Wornall Road, Kansas City, Missouri
Upright marker erected about 1990 on post in cooperation
with the Wornall House Association  - Native Sons provided
financial support – not NS marker.

Truman Historical District Street Signs
Independence, MO
Placed ca. 2001
No record of this – maybe the existing Truman Street signs.

New
Mailing
Address

The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City
P. O. Box 25513
Kansas City, MO 64119-0813

Phone: 816-278-8929 Email: admin@nsdkc.org