Skip to main content
The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City
History of The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City

During the fall months of 1932, D. Ralston Spaulding, the Native Sons' sponsor and first president, discussed the formation, purposes, objectives and future possibilities of a voluntary association. He expounded on what it could accomplish in assembling a group of men of mature years, who had been born within the present city limits of what is now Kansas City, Missouri.

He remarked, "It must be a booster organization as well as a society for reminiscence...We intend to link the past with the present and the present with the future. We who are native best understand its problems." This led to a course that was reiterated in 1936, by then president Pierre Porter, in his inaugural address. He said, "this organization can, and should contribute accurate historical details, intimate, heretofore unpublished material for the use of future historians and novelists."

Historic Advocacy

The Native Sons began their first major restoration project in 1937 with their work on the Union Cemetery. They continued working with the city for 25 years to preserve and enhance the cemetery. They began their work with Fort Osage in 1940 when they sponsored a call to create an association to preserve and mark the site. On September 11, 1948, the fort was dedicated to the Native Sons. On June 1, 1963, it was dedicated as a Registered National Historic Landmark.

Another early project was the Alexander Majors House and Russell Majors Waddell Park at 83rd Street and State Line in Kansas City, Missouri.

Outstanding Kansas Citian

The Native Sons also created the "Outstanding Native Kansas Citian of the Year" award in 1973. Later, this was shortened to the "Outstanding Kansas Citian" award that endures still today.  Additional Information






The Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City
P. O. Box 25513
Kansas City, MO 64119-0813

Phone: 816-278-8929 Email: