Westport Historical Society
Eileen Sullivan Liaison and Committee Chair
The Westport Historical Society was established in 1950 to promote interest in the old town of Westport as well as the Town of Kansas. The Society was incorporated in 1964 as a not-for-profit entity. Many Native Sons are also members of the Westport Historical Society and the two organizations have sponsored a number of projects together.
One of the largest projects taken on by the Native Sons was to co-sponsor the Pioneer Park with the Westport Historical Society. The Park is at the corner of Westport Road and Broadway. The cornerstone of the Park is a statute to the original pioneers of Westport, Alexander Majors, John C. McCoy and Jim Bridger. As a part of the fundraising activities, the two organizations sponsored “Stompin’ at the Savoy” to celebrate the restoration of historical murals at the Savoy Grill, a part at Kelly’s and the raffling of a Chinese rug. Pioneer Park was dedicated in 1987.
In 1991, past presidents of the Westport Historical Society and the Native Sons worked together to preserve the foundation of the original Westport Landing and Town of Kansas. An archaeological dig was conducted. Artifacts from the dig have been preserved and the Town of Kansas town site established.
The Westport Historical Committee chair acts as a liaison between the Westport Historical Society and the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas City. The Committee works to promote the events and plans of the Westport Historical Society. Historically, a Chair of the Native Sons & Daughters of Greater Kansas City serves on the Board of Directors of the Westport Historical Society.